Sunday, March 7, 2010

stick a fork in it

The snow is quickly melting after a week of temperatures in the 30s and 40s (and today it nearly got to 50). In exposed, south-facing spots in my yard, dandelions, plantain, clover and other lawn herbs (we'll call them that rather than weeds) are coming up. Another week of weather like this and I can pick myself a salad.

My compost pile has melted enough that I can turn it for the first time this year. (I started it in November, so it didn't have time to heat up before winter came and it froze solid.) And the compost is beautiful, despite the fact that I've done nothing to it all winter except dump kitchen waste in. All this warm weather makes me want to go work in the garden, but it'll be another month or two before I can start doing anything outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment